7.29.2012

Chicken & Freedom

I have not posted anything on this blog in quite some time. But I am generally opposed to posting politically charged rhetoric on Facebook, and I feel like I need to express a different type of opinion on the whole Chick-fil-A debacle.

Let me begin by saying that I was a regular Chick-fil-A patron when I lived in Orlando, as I find their chicken to be close to perfect. When I moved to Boston, the only Chick-fil-A nearby is in the Burlington Mall (about 30 minutes away) and I have patronized their location on many occasions, including having lunch outings for my staff there. I have always been aware of the Christian background of the company, and their conservative leanings. I was just there for the chicken, and also for the spectacular customer service I have always received.

I also am a libertarian - let companies do what they want to do, and let the public decide whether they are going to patronize that location. I think the world needs diverse points of view, and I also know that open communication is the key to learning new things and considering new perspectives.

And here is why I will no longer count Chick-fil-A among my favorite things. There are literally thousands of causes that are constantly in need of additional funds. Children's cancer research is grossly underfunded. Less than 2% of the National Cancer Institute's budget is currently spent on childhood cancer research, yet cancer kills more children each year than any of other diseases combined. That makes me sick. There are kids in inner cities who don't have enough healthy food. There are schools that can't afford updated textbooks. Yet for some reason, based on their corporate giving strategy, what really needs to be fixed in the world is making sure that gay people aren't allowed to get married. And that tells me something about their perspective and priorities. It doesn't matter to the company whether children grow up healthy, or educated, as long as they grow up straight.

So yes, I used to really love Chick-fil-A. But in light of recent events, I don't want my money to be used to advance that cause, so I will choose not to go there. I don't think that Chick-fil-A should be banned. They are free to decide what charities to support. This is a free country, and I get to choose what businesses to support. I am thankful for the transparency of Chick-fil-A, so I get to make an educated choice. And there are certainly many people who will choose to support Chick-fil-A. I just hope those people know that some of the best people I will ever know in my life happen to be gay, and I would never want a dime of my money to be spent keeping any one of those people from a legal commitment to the person they love. Freedom is a beautiful thing.

1 comment:

  1. Am Richard, I am here to testify about a great herbalist  man who cured my wife of breast cancer. His name is Dr Imoloa. My wife went through this pain for 3 years, i almost spent all i had, until i saw some testimonies online on how Dr. Imoloa cure them from their diseases, immediately i contacted him through. then he told me the necessary things to do before he will send  the herbal medicine. Wish he did through DHL courier service, And he instructed us on how to apply or drink the medicine for good two weeks. and to greatest surprise before the upper third week my wife was relief from all the pains, Believe me, that was how my wife was cured from breast cancer by this great man. He also have powerful herbal medicine to cure diseases like: Alzheimer's disease, parkinson's disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease, Back Pain, Back Sprain, Bipolar Disorder, Brain Tumor, Malignant, Bruxism, Bulimia, Cervical Disc Disease, Cardiovascular Disease, Neoplasms , chronic respiratory disease, mental and behavioral disorder, Cystic Fibrosis, Hypertension, Diabetes, Asthma, Autoimmune inflammatory media arthritis ed. chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease, impotence, alcohol spectrum feta, dysthymic disorder, eczema, tuberculosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, lupus disease, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis ABC, syphilis, diarrhea, HIV / AIDS, Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, addison's disease, chronic pain, Crohn's pain, cystic fibrosis, fibromyalgia, inflammatory Bowel disease, fungal nail disease, Lyme disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major depression, Malignant melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple sclerosis, Muscular dystrophy, Rheumatoid arthritis. You can reach him Email Via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com / whatsapp +2347081986098    Website/ www.drimolaherbalmademedicine.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete